Scholarly Communications CKG Minutes
January 18, 2016
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
- Roll Call
In attendance: Teplitzky, Brown, Liu, Chan, Brennan, Neugebauer, Bergstrom, Taylor, Hightower, Colmenar, Fortney, Weston, Wilmott
- Call for new Chair/Co-Chair
- Shu’s term ends in February; Katie started as one year replacement but can continue. Group is looking for at least one new co-chair to replace to Shu. New term will start in March.
- Duties include managing wiki, chairing monthly meetings, adding or removing members, soliciting discussion topics, attending other UC group meetings upon request, etc.
- UC Shared Content Leadership Group (SCLG) & Scholarly Communications CKG - two potential topics of overlap:
4. Disposition of the old Scholarly Communications Officers Group wiki space, https://wiki.library.ucsf.edu/x/NgDjBQ (Anneliese)
- Questions about whether both groups should coordinate more, including system wide coordination of education and events around Open Access week. SC CKG recommends adhoc group to plan joint OA activities:
- Ex. from UCSD: create webinar from local speakers to add more value/flexibility to increase participation at events
- Ex. UCI has been asked for more formal plan for 2017 open access week. UCI will have Heather Joseph speak.
- Attendees generally seek local flavor--question of what joint programs would like and how we can still honor campus preferences.
- UCLA: cross campus collaboration good idea; potential to spread efforts of booking big names and sharing these presentations to remote audiences
- Potential to time shift presentations with webinar/video option.
- Ex. Can share something like promotional video created for OA week from Merced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hxKH3-42U0
- Ask SCLG about planning logistics and coordination
- Start with shared calendar to manage booking and avoid potential overlap
- Share other OA activities/events that might happen at different times of year
- UCR: Planning program that starts at OA week and winds down during Fair Use week in February
- UCLA Fair Use week: Game music ensemble orchestra whose music relies on exercising fair use; educational session about apply fair use to finding and using images
- Action items: Investigate shared calendar tool; potential video platform
- Assessing/promoting/sharing information about tools researchers can or should be using:
- Which tools are we talking about? Chairs will ask SCLG for clarification.
- Ex UCSD workshop on promoting your research (orcid, profiles)
- Do we want internal or external facing sharing spaces? Limitations of our wiki for sharing resources--only chairs can edit.
- Suggestion: internal first, ability for members to download and adapt for local use
- Action item: Shu will create Google Drive Folder
- Katie & Shu will report on behalf of our group at Feb. 10 SCLG meeting
- If space hasn’t been updated in one year, space is removed
- Some content duplicates what can be found elsewhere (charge, minutes), but some such as working documents, reports, resource sharing might be useful
- Everyone will be added to be able to login and evaluate documents
5. MOVED to next month’s call: Brief updates from or questions for groups with subject overlap (Reminder: limit updates to scholarly communication topics and be mindful of time. Topics requiring more time can be added as a separate agenda item):
- Data CKG - Christy
- OSC - Rachael
- SLASIAC - Susan