, Zoom Call, 1:00-2:00pm

Zoom Instructions

  • One tap mobile +12133388477, 97709744892# US (Los Angeles); +16692192599, 97709744892# US (San Jose)
  • Dial by your location +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
  • Meeting ID: 957 9230 3802


Discussion items

10minCollecting photographs from students in the UC Education Abroad Program

@Matthew Stahl

The main office for the UC Education Abroad Program is located at UCSB, so the University Archives collects its records. Recently, issues have come up regarding privacy and international law.

  • Is there a privacy expectation regarding students? 
  • Does international law come into effect, particularly if local people are in the photo?
  • Matt: the consensus is that the risk is low; a take-down request would suffice
  • We should be aware that students from any campus could be included in this archive
  • How far back do these go? The 1960s. 
  • Mixture of employee-produced photos and student-produced photos

15minCall for Feedback to Universitywide Police Policies and Administrative Procedure Discussion@Elvia Arroyo-Ramirez

UCI Universitywide Police Policies and Administrative Procedures feedback (due May 31):

UCOP has published proposed updates and changes to its Universitywide Police Policies and Administrative Procedures manual, in response to the 2019 UC Universitywide Policing Task Force and applicable changes in California state law.

Proposed changes to the revised sections include:


  • Elvia and Audra commented on two of the documents: "Body Worn Audio/Video" and "Use of Force," for example on labeling recordings, accessibility, PII, retention periods, disposition, cross-referenced resources (including SAA issue brief), etc. They recommend that police personnel work with records managers. 
  • Seems like a good opportunity for outreach to the police department and their records
  • It may be beneficial to make a statement as UCAC, particularly if this has been an issue on each campus (Do we have the bandwidth to do this and the Native American Cultural Affiliation...Policy?)
  • UCLA: community conversations on public safety beginning; so far, no deliverable to react to, but this could be an initiative to engage
  • UCB: there has been a general call for feedback from university administration
  • UCSC: work has started and is ongoing

15minUC Native American Cultural Affiliation and Repatriation Policy Discussion

@Elvia Arroyo-Ramirez

UC's Native American Cultural Affiliation and Repatriation Policy (open comment due May 31):

We all have been invited to comment on proposed revisions to UC's Native American Cultural Affiliation and Repatriation Policy. The revised policy includes changes to the California Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (CalNAGPRA), which were signed into law under AB 275 in September 2020 and became effective January 1, 2021. Comments are due to RPAC no later than May 31.

Google Doc for comments:


  • Elvia: not clear where we could insert ourselves or comment on the document; perhaps on the confidentiality of the records–should it all be?
  • Page 21: mention of UC archives (on relationships and trust)
  • UCLA has a good history of managing materials relevant to NAGPRA; records may need to be confidential given their sensitivity, but may be opened more in the future. We should consult the Native American Protocols document. 
  • Possession and repatriation of materials are part of the UC history, so should we push for embargo rather than outright restrictions?
  • Kathi, Heather, and Elvia will work on this; others are welcome to comment too. 
10minEmail Records Statement Finalized@Matthew Stahl


  • The "big ask" could be a systemwide discussion on policy and preservation of emails. Who should be involved? RMC, library administration (DOC), CoUL
  • Could also leverage the new UC Digital Preservation Leadership Group and the Born Digital CKG (for endorsement/support; Elvia is a member)
  • Next step: Matt will take this to RMC
10minCampus UpdatesALL

No time to address during meeting.

Action Items

  • Matt will work with RMC on the Email Records Statement
  • Kathi, Heather, and Elvia will comment on Native American policy document (Others are welcome to comment.)
  • Elvia and Teresa to adapt UCI Archives feedback to UCI PD as broader UCAC response (Others are welcome to comment.)

Agenda Building

Next regular meeting: Thursday, June 24, 2021, 1:00-2:00pm.