, Zoom Call, 1:00-2:00pm

Zoom Instructions

  • One tap mobile +12133388477, 99813610227# US (Los Angeles); +16692192599, 99813610227# US (San Jose)
  • Dial by your location +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
  • Meeting ID: 998 1361 0227


Discussion items

15minExhibition Planning

@Matthew Stahl

Guest: Alex Regan, Chair of UCSB library exhibit committee. Topic is how various archives and special collections choose exhibits, where they exhibit, and who curates them, including rotating physical exhibits and digital exhibits/collections.

  • Heather (UCLA). We are in flux. Large dept; 40+ people. Spec exhibits used to be more organic, but now we have a committee to impose more structure, incorporating voices from outside of the dept. (subject experts). Spec also contributes materials to collections outside of Spec. Are there secure spaces for archival materials? Yes.
  • Facsimiles or surrogates vs. originals: Kevin (UCD): tension between originals and facsimiles; we usually put out copies more due to environmental concerns than security.      
  • Marlayna (UCSD): Communications and Engagements Program does event planning and outward publicity, and they coordinate library exhibits. Spec still has a lot of curatorial autonomy. Spec director schedules and plans exhibits. Digital collections often follow a physical exhibit. Put out originals, but only for a limited time.
  • Elvia (UCI): We're liberal with materials and exhibit spaces. Work with communications and events group (which use a lot of Spec materials). Use Aeon to check out and manage material. Spec exhibit has been a very student-centered space.
  • Kevin (UCD): Also a professional development opportunity for staff (not just librarian series) to curate or assist with exhibits; pop-up exhibits in coordination with library events, and permanent wall hanging exhibit in the library focusing on DEI.
  • Teresa (UCSC): Dedicated gallery space for the Grateful Dead; CART program with graduate students also provides curatorial opportunities using SCA materials.
  • Polina (UCSF): Smaller dept. with a different model, works with guest curators to create exhibits on a rotating basis. Have budget dedicated to exhibits.
  • ACTION: Send Matt contact info for further questions, if relevant, or any other information.
10minRecords Management Committee Ex Officio Membership
  • Andrea is willing to take on the liaison role but would like to discuss it.
  • Andrea: 2 people in this role? Advocacy is an important role, such as with email archiving.
  • Matt is happy to step in as a second person; he will check with his supervisor.
  • Heather is also willing, as a former records manager; she will check with her supervisor.
  • The chair is supposed to be the liaison, but we've separated it due to time commitment.
  • If both start, they could stagger their transition to make sure there is experience on the committee.
  • Decision: If both are approved, then Matt and Heather will begin as liaison to RMC, then alert Laurie Sletten.
  • Kevin sent email to uc-archivists regarding a potential partnership with RMC for Electronic Records Day.
20minDRAFT E-mail Statement

Matthew Stahl

  • Matt has made some updates in response to comments; added a paragraph.
  • Matt will also draft conclusion and will send to UCAC for final approval.
  • We will send it to Born Digital CKG, then HOSC, then RMC.
15minCampus UpdatesALL
  • UCD: UA position in flux; focusing on fundraising for digitization; and web archiving.
  • UCI: Web archiving, including description; consultation with faculty, including those creating content related to the pandemic; oral history toolkit.
  • UCLA: In UA, not a lot going on. Relying on digitized assets for reference; COVID-19-related material is not spearheaded by UA, but they are taking a supportive role (oral histories, classes).
  • UCM: Documentation authoring is a big focus (processes for new acquisitions, etc.); initial conversations with retired faculty and papers; some COVID-19 archiving (campus documents, etc.).
  • UCR: Class support for the fall in planning stage; have person onsite doing scanning to support remote instruction; digital exhibit on the history of women at UCR (Omeka); also relying on digitized assets a lot; working on getting student records digitized; LibGuides for archives; testing ePADD; virtual event series in Spec for fall.
  • UCSB: Hired film and media studies librarian for Spec; COVID-19 program a success; launching similar project for the Movement for Black Lives.
  • UCSD: Rather than doing a journal project through SC&A, we are hoping to collect Women's Center's and other units' COVID-19 journaling projects.
    - Continuing on lots of web archiving
    - Increasing outreach to departments and groups to talk about archives and focusing on their digital records
    - Celebrating 50th anniversary of Geisel Library
    - In interviewing stage for AUL position
  • UCSF: Collecting pandemic stories using resident; story-telling workshop; Charlie Macquairie's panel: No More Silence: Digital Community Histories of HIV/AIDS panel.
  • UCSC: Renewed efforts with Archive-It; Regional History Program received support for COVID-19 oral history project to start in September;
  • UCB: May start by-appointment patron activity (campus affiliates only) in Bancroft in a couple weeks (week of September 7); contactless pickup service expected to begin for main library same week.

Action Items

  • ALL:  Send Matt contact information for further questions about library exhibition planning process, if relevant, or any other information.
  • Matthew Stahl and @Heather Briston will consult with their supervisors about serving as RMC liaisons. Both are approved.
  • @Matthew Stahl will draft a conclusion for the email policy document and share it with UCAC for final approval.
  • UCAC:  Send email policy document to the Born Digital CKG, then HOSC, and then RMC.

Agenda Building

Next meeting: Thursday, October 22, 2020, 1:00-2:00pm.