June 3, 2014: UCSVR-CKG-Minutes-6-3-2014.pdf
December 2, 2014: UCSVR-CKG-Minutes-12-2-2014.pdf
May 25, 2016: UCSVR-CKG-Minutes-5-23-2016.pdf
October 16, 2017: UCSVR-CKG-Minutes-10-16-2017.pdf
January 18, 2018: UCSVR-CKG-Minutes-01-18-2018.pdf
March 6, 2018: Notes from call with Dan Paskett and Hannah Marshall, ITHAKA
- Slide and Transitional Media Tracking
- Jason Miller's instructions to create archival slide storage, reference PDFs and finding aids:
- Shared Shelf projects at UCSD via Greg Reser
- Instructions for sharing content on Artstor with other UCs
Summary and Background
The UC Shared Visual Resources (UCSVR) group comprises a standing group of experts in the area of building shared visual resource collections. The group builds on and extends the scope of the former UC Shared Images Collection Liaisons (http://www.cdlib.org/services/access_publishing/dsc/ucsi/docs/ucsi_collection_liaisons.pdf), a group established by the CDL to advise on the development of the UC Shared Images Service. While UCSVR members have particular expertise with image-based resources and their use within instructional and teaching contexts, participants also have expertise working with other media and file formats (moving images, audio, etc.) within these contexts. UCSVR communicates with and serves as an advisory body to the UC Libraries Advisory Structure, but is not a decision-making body. To foster innovation in the creation, management, sharing, and teaching and instructional use of visual resource collections, the UCSVR membership is open to participation from experts within the UC Libraries and in campus departments external to the Libraries. The group meets on a regular basis -- leveraging in-person meetings at relevant professional visual resource organization meetings, when possible -- and encourages active participation from its membership.
Scope of work
Assess, manage and advise on shared visual resources collections and media content across UC campuses through meetings, group interactions, and workshops. Our goals include:
- Identifying the areas of confluence, strength and need among campus collections, and working toward sharing these system-wide.
- Supporting all disciplines in the area of scholarly endeavors, and actively pursuing outreach and marketing to find potential contributors.
- Advising principles and best practices for access and use rights (copyright guidelines, criteria, clarity of rights to end-users, and encouraging the broadest possible levels of usage).
- Determining system-wide collection management policies and best practices (specifications, tools, metadata, preservation, etc.).
Membership and Terms of Appointment
Membership is open to all levels of staff interested in and responsible for the management of media and related services. To seek membership, interested parties must contact the UCSVR chair. The group will include a broad group of systemwide media experts, ex-officio members from the California Digital Library and other representatives invited by the chair. Committed members include:
- Krystal Boehlert (Riverside)
- Lynn Cunningham (Berkeley), Co-Chair
- Belinda Egan (Santa Cruz)
- Christine Fritsch-Hammes (Santa Barbara)
Daniel Goldstein (Davis)
- Janine Henri (Los Angeles)
- Steve Illott (San Diego)
- Shannon Kotter (UCB)
- Jason Miller (Berkeley)
- Sue Perry (Santa Cruz)
- Greg Reser (San Diego)
- Laura Schwartz (San Diego)
Sonja Sekely-Rowland (Riverside)
- Jerrold Shiroma (Merced)
- Jackie Spafford (Santa Barbara), Co-Chair
- Scott M. Stone (Irvine)
- Liz Taylor (San Francisco)
- Leah Theis (Davis)
- Adrian Turner (CDL; Ex-officio)