Child pages
  • September 17, 2014 Notes
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

SP CKG Conference Call
September 17, 2014      1:00 pm - 2:00 pm

Call In Information
Ready Talk : 866-740-1260
Passcode: 8249732
Notetaker: (UCSC - Christy) 

1.    Roll Call

Present: Mitchell Brown (Irvine), co-chair; Margaret Phillips (Berkeley); Amy Studer (Davis); Susan Mikkelsen  (Merced); Shu Lui (Irvine); Diane Gurman (UCLA); Rhonda Neugebauer (Riverside); Nancy Stimson (San Diego), co-chair; Bethany Harris (San Diego);

Anneliese Taylor (UCSF), Gary Colmenar (Santa Barbara); Christy Hightower (Santa Cruz); Jackie Wilson (CDL); Katie Fortney (CDL)

Guest(s): Catherine Mitchell, CDL; Katrina Romanowsky, CDL

Absent: Mary Wood (Davis)

Raquel Abad  - no longer a member of the group

2.    Announcements (All)

•    New Returning Member: Bethany Harris (San Diego).

•    Symplectic Meetings on campuses - San Diego (9/8); Irvine (9/9), Riverside, UCLA, Davis, Santa Cruz, Berkeley, Santa Barbara – Symplectic did not go to Merced, but Merced attended at another campus.  At Irvine their Office of Academic Personnel was looking at other modules with interest, but at UCI will try to be interoperable with the current version of their OAP software and Symplectic, will not be adding new Symplectic modules at this time.  At San Diego a lot of other offices on campus were present at the demo, all the different offices are going in different directions so there is not one single public interface on campus.  It was mentioned on this call that Symplectic can handle different sources of input so it may still work.

•    Office of Scholarly Communications (OSC) website updates and plans for webinar on UC OA Policy (Mitchell). Mitchell is working with Katie and Sharon Farb to make some updates and have plans for a webinar on the policy.  Katie: a webinar for librarians is planned with a lot of time for Q&A – in early October – Tue Oct 7th at 1pm, email to go out soon.  Will record it for later viewing.  A chance for librarians to ask questions about the policy.

3.  Outreach materials that support the UC OA Policy (Katrina and Catherine) - 45 minutes

Katrina will be showing slides from a ReadyTalk account - access code 5451966.  For web content, log into http://www.readytalk.com/ and in PARTICIPANT box, enter the access code 5451966#

  • Purpose of today - ID the materials that OAC has and what their status is (outdated, updated, etc.), and also to get our feedback on how we have used these materials to date.  This is not a formal presentation, focused on the Google doc that was shared earlier.  Open Access Materials (collaboration with OSC/eScholarship) http://bit.ly/1whnboj - Google Docs page - outreach materials  bit.ly/1kVNE9B

Katrina – went through the slides and asked us for feedback on each item

  • Retiring the 90 second whiteboard video – outdated – will be taken down before OA week, will send an email when it is removed
  • New faculty videos will be added – campuses can also send them videos to add – UC Merced has interviewed 6 faculty and is editing the videos now and may have some to share.  This is about OA in general, were going to use these in OA week, part of it is to promote the policy. – Mitchell likes the videos done by Amelia Perry at Arizona – they have one minute videos that he likes, one point per video. – Several agreed that shorter is better. Mitchell has a few faculty with stories that would make good videos, from several disciplines, not all science.
  • On the OAC site: OA policy text, history and FAQ – the decision tree is new (its on the FAQ part of the OAC site), and more visual – this came from UCSF – need a new one for those who are using Elements now. – can download it as jpg – we asked for a pdf version, that will be made available. Amy used it last week at Davis, but too busy for a ppt slide – can it be made into pieces that fit on a slide? This will be looked into.
  • Quickstart Guides – editable version on the Wiki.  There is also a video that is generic for eScholarship – Justin will make a shorter one that is specific to the OA policy submission.
  • Presentation ppt slide – this is out of date now. Nancy has a ppt slide deck that UCSD uses, she thinks hers needs updating now too but is happy to share –If you want to add something to the wiki for sharing, send it to Katrina.
  • Action – it was mentioned that messages going to faculty on the pilot campuses should also be shared with OSC so they are informed in case there are questions. Mitchell noted that he placed some text he has used for messaging on the Google doc site.
  • New ideas – infographics – OSC is considering working with a company to make some of these.
  • Nancy – working on short messages about OA in general – interested in hearing slogans that convey the value of OA, for use during OA week. Katrina can make a discussion forum part of the wiki where things like that could be shared
  • Shu mentioned slides they have at Irvine for training librarians that they can also share.
  • Walkme is something they are working on – it is pop up guidance that will show up in the Harvester.
  • Open Access Materials (collaboration with OSC/eScholarship)

Meeting adjourned 2:01 p.m.

  • No labels