Child pages
  • PSE CKG Notes - Sep 21, 2016
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Note taker: Davis


Present:

Brian Quigley (chair - UCB), Lisa Ngo (UCB), Sam Teplitzky (UCB), Anna Sackmann (UCB), Elliott Smith (UCB), Jean McKenzie (UCB), Cory Craig (note taker - UCD), Jennifer Harbster (UCD), Julia Gelfand (UCI), Nicole Helregel (UCI), Mitchell Brown (UCI), Tony Aponte (UCLA), Jim Dooley (UCM), Michele Potter (UCR), Dave Schmitt (UCSD), Deborah Kegel (UCSD), Teri Vogel (UCSD), Sarah McClung (UCSF), Andrea Duda (UCSB), Chuck Huber (UCSB), Christy Caldwell (UCSC)

 

  1. Roll call

  2. PSE wiki update and collaborative workspace

    PSE-CKG Workspace: https://wiki.library.ucsf.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=381587224

    Due to the way the CKG wikis have been set up, we have been asked to give edit privileges to the chair and one other person only. This means the previously suggested practice of giving everyone edit privileges probably will not work. It may be possible to set up some restricted access pages, but not easily, so Brian is still researching this. He will continue to think about where we can have a collaborative workspace. On our next call, there will be a further update & possible solutions.

    ACTION ITEM: Brian will reach out to Davis to be co-editor since they will be co-chair next year.

  3. New & continuing resources

    1. SpringerNature:
      CDL is working on the Springer Nature negotiations for 2017 and did a survey of SCLG (Shared Content Leadership Group) to gauge interest in additional titles/resources such as SpringerMaterials and Nano.

      SpringerMaterials: Berkeley and Riverside have already purchased it. Purchasing the perpetual access option significantly reduces the annual fee in comparison to the subscription option. It may be possible to pay for the perpetual access purchase over multiple years.

      Nano (http://nano.nature.com): Not much is known about this database that “provides indexed and structured information on nanomaterials and nanodevices,” so there is not much interest currently. Based on a demo at SLA, it looks like it overlaps with other databases we license and that pricing is based on how many labs are doing nano research on your campus.

      Springer eBooks: Where ebooks are concerned, and this applies to more than just Springer, Julia mentioned that we need to know on a title-by-title basis what we are getting and not getting so that we can purchase excluded books as needed. We need to have this data to make smart and timely collections decisions. Deborah noted that books with 2017 copyright years are already being published, but as usual we do not have access since the 2017 license has not been negotiated yet. Also we have not purchased the new arts, humanities, and social sciences subject collections created with Palgrave titles, which means more titles are not covered. It was mentioned that we would like to see CDL continue to push Springer Nature on allowing libraries to purchase individual ebook titles and not just subject packages.

      ACTION ITEM: Julia will ask her CDO to bring up the need for included and excluded title lists with SCLG.
      ACTION ITEM: Brian will send a similar request to CDL as the CKG chair.

    2. ENGnetBASE:
      Update from Michele: Evidence-based selection has been completed for 2015 titles. Thanks to those who participated in the selection - it was helpful to have a larger group working on it this round. For next year, we may want to think more about our parameters and spending limits. Julia noted that we need to negotiate a better way to do this so that it does not take so much staff time. However, it was also noted that we are still spending considerably less to get just the titles that we really want than the offers we have received for outright purchase of ENGnetBASE.

    3. Transfer Title List:
      Collection Development Officers are currently nominating titles their campuses are interested in. Brian suggests we let our CDO know of any transfer titles we are interested in. Title nominations are due by October 15, and then SCLG voting will take place in November. Julia asked if there was a list of all transfer titles with turnaway data.

      ACTION ITEM: Brian will see if CDL has turnaway data on its website.

    4. GeoScienceWorld & Lyell Collection:
      Tony raised the question of whether there was interest in a Tier 2 for either of these. Berkeley subscribed to GeoScienceWorld several years ago, and it does take some effort to investigate the title list and transition from individual subscriptions. Davis did a title review recently and agreed it was complicated. It was also noted that GeoRef can be searched within GeoScienceWorld, but campuses need to maintain our separate GeoRef license for that access. We agreed to hold off on GeoScienceWorld though individual campuses should continue to subscribe if interested

      Lyell: At least three campuses (B, D, LA) are interested, but we need four campuses for a Tier 2.

      ACTION ITEM: Campuses will let Tony know if they have interest in Lyell.

    5. AIAA journals & meeting papers:
      Some campuses wondered if there would be interest in a Tier 2 for the journals and/or the meeting papers.

      ACTION ITEM: Brian will do a poll to determine what campuses have already and what they are interested in getting.

    6. Other Resources:

      IEEE ebook backfile: Brian reported that we just signed an addendum for perpetual access to the backfile titles added since our 2010 purchase so SCP will now catalog them.

      ASME: 2017-2020: Julia reported that we have a 4 year offer for renewal of journals, proceedings, ebooks, standards (beginning 2017). She will be sending it out to campuses soon.

      Authorea: This is a collaborative writing software similar to Overleaf. Tony reported that one of the creators is from UCLA, and they are going to try a 1 year pilot. Brian noted that Berkeley did a survey of graduate students in engineering and physical sciences on collaborative writing and citation tools – there was interest from those students in learning more about Overleaf and ShareLaTeX.

      OnePetro: Michele asked if any campuses subscribe to this online library of literature on oil and gas exploration (including from the Society of Petroleum Engineers). Berkeley subscribes for access to drilling and offshore engineering literature. No perpetual access.

      SciFinder: Chuck asked when SciFinder is up for negotiation, and Jean reported the current license runs through 2019. Chem Zent was discussed. If a campus is interested in a one-time purchase of Chem Zent, they can reach out to our SciFinder rep directly; CDL will only get involved if at least 6 campuses have interest. SciFindern is supposed to be out early next year, it is a whole new version of the platform.

      Knovel: Concerns were raised about overlap with Elsevier ebooks and possibly Cambridge ebooks as well as pricing. Last year we talked about doing a more comprehensive review to look at how much unique material we are getting and cost/usage. However, keep in mind it is also a platform that provides unique features – Mitchell noted that it may look like an ebooks package, but you search it like a database and can do unique things with the results. It was agreed that we would gather more information and do a more comprehensive review before next year’s renewal.

      Teri also mentioned that you can search Knovel on Engineering Village along with Compendex, but it does not distinguish between our licensed and unlicensed content, and the links do not take you directly to the chapter or page.

      ACTION ITEM: Mitchell will send the group the title lists and usage statistics for Knovel.

  4. SCP quarterly priorities - due 9/30

    JSC (Joint Steering Committee on Shared Collections) sets quarterly priorities for SCP (Shared Cataloging Program) projects, and CKGs can weigh in. Our feedback is due 9/30. Christy H had mentioned via email a set of OER resources (open textbooks), and Brian asked people to send comments to him.

    Cataloging is frequently still an issue for packages. Small packages don’t get cataloged except once or twice per year. The protocol for SCP cataloging was discussed along with its processes and shortcomings. The preferred method for reporting items in need of SCP cataloging is to use CDL Helpline. It was recommended that resource liaisons for ebook packages know what the reported frequency of cataloging is for their resources, monitor that the cataloging stays up-to-date, and work with the PSE CKG to provide feedback if the cataloging frequency is not adequate.

    Following up on the topic of resource liaisons, Brian reported that all our important RL vacancies have been filled, and thanked everyone for volunteering.

  5. Shared Print questions

    JACS (Journal Archiving Campaigns)
    JACS was developed by the Shared Print teams. The bibliographers on the Shared Print Strategy team use a collections analysis to help select titles for archiving by setting parameters. The goal is to archive as complete a set as possible of each selected journal in the RLFs. A complete archive is put together, and duplicates are disposed. With this second round, CKGs can now propose additional titles for archiving. We can nominate from a list of titles on the JACS website.

    ACTION ITEM: Brian will send out a reminder about the title nominations process.

    Shared Print Strategy Team:
    Brian is resigning from this committee because of other commitments, and they need a science bibliographer to complete his term through 2017. Berkeley has suggested Jean McKenzie, but if others are interested, let Brian know. HLS has been asked for nominations as well. All the nominations will be sent to DOC, and they will decide who is appointed.

    ACTION ITEM: Send an email to Brian by September 29 if interested in being nominated for the Shared Print Strategy Team.

  6. Evolving liaison roles

    Ran out of time – not discussed. This will be on our next agenda, and Brian suggested that we have a couple of people give lightning talks on their new and interesting roles as liaisons.

    ACTION ITEM: Contact Brian if you are interested in giving one of these lightning talks.


Other possible future topics (ranked by votes):

  • OA policy statistics & success stories
  • Drop-in workshop success stories
  • Support for collaborative citation & writing tools such as Mendeley & Overleaf
  • 3D printing & makerspaces
  • Discovery tools (new suggestion)

 

Next Meeting: 11/14 either 9:30-11 or 2:30-4. Note taker will be Irvine.
ACTION ITEM: Mark your calendars and let Brian know if you have conflicts with these times.


Campus Announcements

UCB

  • Jo Anne Newyear-Ramirez started as AUL for Scholarly Resources on August 22. She joined us from the University of British Columbia where she was AUL for Collection Development & Management Programs.
  • Elliott Smith is serving half-time as our Interim Chemistry Librarian while we continue our search for a Chemical Information Librarian (first review of applications - Oct 7).
  • Jean McKenzie has a new position as Program Manager for Collaborative Services. Her immediate work focuses on several activities related to the feasibility of expanding NRLF. She will also be interim engineering selector while Lisa Ngo is on maternity leave from Oct-Feb and will join us on our calls.
  • UC Berkeley became a member of the Technical Reports Archive & Image Library (TRAIL).
  • Taught by Anna Sackmann, we offered a brief Intro to LaTeX drop-in workshop for the first time as part of our fall orientations this year. It was hugely popular so we are planning to offer a series of 3-4 workshops on LaTeX in the spring.

UCSC

We have been working all summer on an ambitious weeding project at the UC Santa Cruz Science & Engineering Library. That project ends today.

We looked at our circulation stats and unique materials. We kept all books that circulated within the last 5 years or that were unique or valuable. All other print books were removed. This left us with 40% of the original collection from last spring. The stacks are now only on the lower floor of the 3 floor building. There is a campus fundraiser being held in the S&E Library next month to raise money for a renovation, and it's considered a unique opportunity to have the campus focused on the Library in this way. Part of the space gained from the stacks will likely be used in "student success" services, as well as overall increased seating capacity.






  • No labels