Project Management Common Knowledge Group Charter
November 12, 2014
1. Summary and Background
The Project Management Common Knowledge Group (PMCKG) is a standing group of representatives of various UC campuses and CDL, with an interest in the area of project management. PMCKG discusses topics related to project management methodologies, practices, processes, tools and templates.
PMCKG communicates with and provides support to the UCL Advisory Structure, but it is not a decision-making body.
2. Scope of work
PMCKG will share, promote and advocate resources and best practices in an effort to lay a foundation for long term development of project management expertise in the UC Libraries. The group will create an inventory of tools, methods and best practices in project management, and build a report including recommendations.
3. Key Responsibilities
- Support and foster a project management community of interest open to all UC library staff members
- Create and/or collect and make available a variety of project management resources (both established and emerging) and training materials for their use
- Help project managers find the right tools and methodologies for their projects
- Share information about individual project stories and critical reflection on lessons learned
- Respond to queries and requests received from the Portfolio Managers and the Coordinating Committee, as appropriate.
- Gather and share information about environment, project opportunities, new technologies or practices, and local campus developments within the area of project management
- Receive ideas from various UC constituents, discuss them and assess potential for new systemwide services and/or service improvements
- Conceive and advance innovative ideas, services, and/or improvements relevant to the University of California Libraries Systemwide Plan and Priorities
4. Membership and Terms of Appointment
Membership is open to all levels of UC employees interested in and responsible for managing projects. Broad campus representation is desirable but not required.
Members commit to a two year term, at which time they can choose to continue or to recommend another representative from their campus/location.
Current members are:
- Adrian Petrisor (UC Irvine), Chair
- Colby Riggs (UC Irvine)
- Dale Snapp (UC Davis)
- Elizabeth McAulay (UCLA)
- Holly Eggleston (CDL)
- Jim Vanderveen (UC Davis)
- Lynne Grigsby (UC Berkeley)
- Matthew McKinley (UC Irvine)
- Michael Stuart (UCSD)
- Michael Yonezawa (UCR)
- Shu Liu (UC Irvine)
- Thomas Bustos (UC Merced)
- Tom Moon (UCSB)
The Chair is selected by the membership and will serve for 2 years.
5. Communication responsibilities
- Post and maintain a historical record of meeting minutes and reports, making them available to the UCL Advisory Structure
- Send suggestions to develop new ideas and services, or to improve existing operations, services, or practices to the Coordinating Committee, or to specific SAGs as Project Proposals following the template in Appendix 2 of the Guidelines for Common Knowledge Groups (CKGs).
The PMCKG meets at least quarterly, with irregular communication via CKGPM-L@LISTSERV.UCOP.EDU.
The PMCKG will establish an open mailing list/discussion forum for all UC Library staff members who are interested in project management, as noted above in Section 3, Key Responsibilities.