Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://UCOP.zoom.us/j/236485718
Dial: +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll)
Meeting ID: 236 485 718
- UC Berkeley – Susan Koskinen
- UC Berkeley – Rachael Samberg
- UC Berkeley – Samantha Teplitzky
- UC Davis – Amy Studer
- UC Davis - Mike Wolfe
- UC Irvine – Mitchell Brown
- UC Irvine – Shu Liu
- UC Los Angeles – Jennifer Chan
- UC Los Angeles – Marty Brennan (co-Chair)
- UC Merced – Donald Barclay
- UC Merced – Jerrold Shiroma (co-Chair)
- UC Riverside – Rhonda Neugebauer
- UC San Diego – Mary Linn Bergstrom
- UC San Diego - Allegra Swift
- UC San Francisco – Anneliese Taylor
- UC Santa Cruz – Christy Hightower
- UC Santa Barbara – Sherri Barnes REGRETS
- UC Santa Barbara – Kyra Folk-Farber
- CDL – Katie Fortney
- CDL – Monica Westin
- CDL – Mat Willmott
- SPARC Launches Pilot of First-of-Its-Kind Professional Development Program for Open Education Librarians
- Group has member mentors. Group hopes to make some resources available via ALA's Connect portal
- Also a bit older but worth noting: SPARC Releases Report Highlighting the Impact of Open Educational Resources at Member Institutions
- Some interesting posts on the ARL Policy Notes blog about Section 108 reform and the danger to the fair use savings clause
- From Mitchell, Recent Email Sent to ACS Customers about ResearchGate: ACS_Publications_Letter_to_Authors_17Oct2017.pdf
- Meanwhile, ResearchGate and Springer are talking cooperation: http://group.springernature.com/gb/group/media/press-releases/researchgate-and-springer-nature-plan-cooperation-/15118294
- Publisher coalition website: http://www.responsiblesharing.org/
- Our own Jennifer Chan was recently appointed to a 3 year term as the LAUC Representative to SLASIAC (see roster here).
Deep-Dive topic With all of the updates around Open Access Week, we'll likely skip the deep dive this month due to time constraints
- Post up at OSC with list and links. Late additions still possible. https://osc.universityofcalifornia.edu/2017/10/oa-week-2017/
- Berkeley - STELLA unconference, see round robin notes below. 5 events next week, one per day. Rachael Samberg mostly teaching or panel-moderating.
- Davis - Open Libraries Project & the case for Controlled Digital Lending
- Heather Joseph presentation is being livestreamed - time adjustment, see below.
- Livestreaming is through Facebook
- UCLA - Software Carpentry this week. 4 different sessions next week, all on Wednesday.
- UCM - Data carpentry, Internet's Own Boy, faculty open house
- UCSF - Our complete OA Week activities are here. We'll have an info table set up as usual this year at our Parnassus campus, because it's an effective way to reach students. We're also running a campaign to get people to submit what "Open in order to..." means to them. Contributions can be submitted via the online form or at the info table, and we'll feature submissions during OA Week and after. The November 27 panel event will be recorded and livestreamed. Check the registration page on the day of for the link.
- UCSD - Lunch & learn for the library; social media campaign.
- UCR - Open Data, to celebrate new open data/open research department - Research Services.
Outside UC - Lever Press webinar about OA monographs. Anneliese will send link
SPARC posters - http://www.openaccessweek.org/page/englishhigh-resolution-1
4. Other topics
Open Access Week events & Announcements:
- Details on events at all 10 campuses at OSC Blog: UC campuses celebrate Open Access Week 2017
- Let's have a round-robin report specifically on these events, separate from the usual round-robin on other topics below. Be sure to mention (and provide links) to any events that will be available via livestream - we may wish to market such events on other campuses.
5. Updates from crossover groups if applicable
- OSC: update about the OSC site - the site updates & menu rearranging is done (Katie). Easier to find the Data stuff and the Publishing Discounts now. Profiles, Identifiers & Metrics info to be updated in 2018, with expertise of Rachael and Allegra.
- STAR Team: New member: Rachael Samberg. Currently working reviews of Open Book Publishers and Reveal Digital.
Reveal Digital - libraries and others pledge as a group to raise funds, which are targeted at digitizing particular collections. Mat: "kickstarter for digitization."
- UCB - Berkeley will be hosting the STELLA unconference May 18-19, 2018. Information and registration details can be found here: https://stellagroup.wordpress.com/. Information about our OA week events can be found here: http://news.lib.berkeley.edu/2017/09/28/boost-your-scholarly-publishing-skills-during-open-access-week-oct-23-27/
- UCD -
- UCI - Open Access Week 2017 events https://www.lib.uci.edu/oaweek. Monday presentation by Heather Joseph, Executive Director for SPARC (Mon. Oct.23 from 11:00 a.m. -12:30 p.m., with an option for livestreaming via the UCI Libraries Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/UCILibraries/) . Events in the week will highlight services and instruction programs for Data Science and Scholarly Communications. The presentations will be linked from library website following the event for later use/reuse.
- UCLA - Center for Open Science workshop on Open Science Framework 10/18/17; OA Week 2017 events http://www.library.ucla.edu/news-events/events-agenda?f%5B0%5D=field_event_series%3A699
- UCM -
- UCR - OA Week event: Wed. Oct 25: Open in order to Save Data for Future Research with panelists John Baez (Math Dept and Azimuth Project data saving project), Perry Willett (CDL Project Manager), and Kat Koziar (Open Data Librarian at UCR).
- UCSB - Annual OA Week Information table, This is what Open Access Looks Like!, a wine and cheese reception, honoring OA book authors and journal editors
- UCSC - OA week event: Easy Tools to Archive & Share Your Research Data: Dash, DOIs & DMPs,; science librarians will also hang out at two coffee carts as "office hours" offering to talk about OA topics
- UCSD - SPARC OA toolkit
- UCSF - no additional updates at this time.
- CDL - eScholarship redesign launches next Monday, 10/23. Monica will be sending materials. There will be a press release sent to listserves.