Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Scholarly Publishing Common Knowledge Group

November 19, 2014      1:00 pm - 2:00 pm

Notetaker: (CDL - Fortney)  


1. Roll Call (Mitchell)

Present: Mary Wood (Davis), Susan Mikkelsen (Merced), Shu Liu (Irvine), Mitchell Brown (Irvine), Diane Gurman (UCLA), Rhonda Neugebauer (Riverside), Bethany Harris (San Diego), Nancy Stimson (San Diego), Christy Hightower (Santa Cruz), Gary Colmenar (Santa Barbara), Katie Fortney (CDL), Jackie Wilson (CDL)


Absent: Margaret Phillips (Berkeley), Amy Studer (Davis), Anneliese Taylor (UCSF)


2.  Announcements (All)

Reminder that we’re looking for a new co-chair starting January 2015. Please consider serving, particularly if your campus hasn’t chaired/co-chaired this group or the SCO’s before, or recently. Mitchell will continue as the other co-chair until the end of June.


3. Updates on UC Open Access Policy implementation (Mitchell)

  • Outreach materials (flyers, information cards, event plans)

  • Open Access Materials (collaboration with OSC/eScholarship) 

  • Google Docs page - outreach materials

  • Follow-up on campus communications strategies/Update on Phase II communications for Irvine, Los Angeles, San Francisco

    • UCSC offered 2 in person sessions and been on the agenda for divisional meetings of department chairs. They are also planning a recorded webinar. They will be sending out a broad email to all faculty offering to upload articles to eScholarship and collect and fill in metadata if Senate faculty send them author’s final manuscripts. They’ll begin with articles sponsored by the OA Fund pilot. The library has developed a workflow, which Christy will share, but it may change as library staff implement it. They have noted that not all DOIs work for auto-completion of the form; it appears to need to be a CrossRef indexed DOI.

      • Q: Why is discipline required metadata for deposit? Katie will ask and report back to the group.

      • They would prefer a list of the six CC licenses for experienced users/people familiar with CC licenses. The two question license chooser slows them down. Katie will share this feedback with eScholarship and the OAPI team.

    • Merced has schools and bylaw units, which are kind of like departments. Have been meeting with bylaw unit heads, talking, and trying to get on unit meetings. There’s been mixed feedback, and many  people think it’d be great to just wait until the harvester comes online.

    • San Diego had two informational sessions during OA week. Faculty who represented scholarly societies attended, and responded positively to information about embargo option. Announcement of these sessions also led to a couple questions that came in through reference. IN addition, UCSD offered a training for librarians on how to help faculty upload to eScholarship.

    • UCLA wonders about faculty awareness in light of lack of broad official announcement, and mentioned recent Peter Binfield article about communication strategies. UCSC noted that holding their sessions outside the library, in rooms chosen based on research into which rooms are commonly used for presentations of interest to faculty, did not noticeably improve attendance.

    • Riverside is working on strategies for communicating with their library committee.

    • Santa Barbara had good foot traffic with the tabling they did during OA week, and one of their OA week events had a lively discussion about differences in OA issues among different disciplines, thanks to representation from faculty from classics, education, and environmental studies.


4.  Feedback on the OSC website (Mitchell)

The new arrangement for services – icons and FAQs.

Feedback on changes

  • Feedback was generally positive for the OA Policy landing page, which is now more visual and easier to scan. Bethany commented that it saved time in responding faculty emails about the policy because she could omit instructions on how to navigate the website. Shu commented on the icon grid’s resemblance to an iPhone screen or mobile app, which provides a familiar feeling for a user.

  • More changes to the site, the front page in particular, are planned for the coming year, with user input.

  • Resource for affordable icon sets:

  • What is site usage like? Katie will send some reports from Google analytics.

  • No labels