March 16, 2016 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Notetaker: Jacqueline Wilson (CDL)
Present: Shu Liu (UCI), Co-Chair; Katie Fortney (CDL), Co-Chair; Jacqueline Wilson (CDL); Samantha Teplitzky (B); Susan Koskinen (B); Mitchell Brown (I); Angela Riggio (LA); Donald Barclay (M); Rhonda Neugebauer (R); Anneliese Taylor (SF); Christy Hightower (SC); Gary Colmenar (SB); Mary Linn Bergstrom (SD); Guest: Katina Romanowsky (CDL)
- A new scholarly publication email list being launched at Santa Barbara. It is being managed by Sherri Barnes. A formal announcement will go out in April (Gary sent email 3/16)
- New federal funder page on OSC site (Katie sent email 3/4) Send feedback to Katie. New page will be updated quarterly or as needed.
- No news about our revised charter yet from DOC. Donald says approval should be straightforward.
- SCLG is in the process of appointing a Group (STAR Team) to evaluate and review transformative publications for the UC Libraries. Jackie will keep CKG updated.
- EScholarship redesign demo by Katrina Romanowsky. Updates and designs are being posted on the eScholarship Redesign Project wiki: https://wiki.ucop.edu/display/eScholarship/eScholarship+Redesign+Project
- Open Education Resources discussion (Christy sent email 3/15/16l): Textbook affordability a concern. Discussed what Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara are doing around OER materials. Also discussed strategies to reduce the cost of textbooks for students, which can include both open textbook approaches and non-OER approaches (like promoting the textbooks from our Springer package).
- Will follow up on a recent ACRL webinar about making textbooks affordable at which Monica Metz-Wiseman from University of South Florida and Mitch Moulton from Springer/Nature (link to be sent to CKG).
- The next TAC (Textbook Affordability Conference), a two day in person event, will be at UC Davis on April 27-29 (registration $400). <http://tac.nacs.org/>.
- LA will send a report on their affordable course reader initiative soon.
- ACRL workshop at Berkeley: “Scholarly Communication: From Understanding to Engagement” to be held Thursday, March 24, 2016 <http://www.ala.org/acrl/issues/scholcomm/roadshow>
Agenda topics for next meeting: Funding for meeting attendance and other CKG activities
Shu Liu (I), Co-Chair; Katie Fortney (CDL), Co-Chair; Jacqueline Wilson (CDL); Samantha Teplitzky (B); Susan Koskinen (B); Mitchell Brown (I); Angela Riggio (LA); Donald Barclay (M); Rhonda Neugebauer (R); Anneliese Taylor (SF); Christy Hightower (SC); Gary Colmenar (SB); Mary Linn Bergstrom (SD); Guest: Katina Romanowsky (CDL)