Discussion on approaches to event-driven web archiving
- Anyone using Noah Geraci's (UC Riverside)script for sleuthing out COVID-19 related content using the Bing API to search across websites and then generate a seedlist: https://github.com/ngeraci/ucr-covid-bing-search?
- CF: aiming to use this to demonstrate what's not being collected, gaps - use for advocacy to try to get this content collected.
- JJ: working with (Wuhan based?) faculty to assess personal collections that captured censored content, also social media (weibo, microblogging content) harvesting will be mining (using tools, including Nvivo) for commonly used phrases/terms to derive bilingual ontology for childrens lit; adhering with GDPR, only saving unique ids and not the content (using DocNow tools for "dehydrating/hydrating") CF: NB that Howard Besser has been talking about scrubbing content in these collecting contexts. KS: could you come back to this group (and the Born Digital CKG?) to share details, process, etc. JJ: perhaps by August?
- Archive-It is looking to develop a cross-collection COVID-19 search portal and deriving datasets/research resources at some point in the future...TBD
- Collecting strategies: seedlist development, metadata standards?
- Other common collecting issues:
- CF: "Blockley" UCB in Minecraft, built by students for students - how to capture? it'd include a Minecraft server and discord (web or desktop/client based: some ideas https://www.archiveteam.org/index.php?title=Discord)... challenging to emulate, but worth documenting in some way. with discord, there are privacy issues. potential for anonymizing users? the commencement program that happened in Blockley was public (streaming, recording, comments, etc.)
- Collecting antiracism activism (ethically fraught), institutional response/engagement/lack thereof (including "black in the ivory")?
- Archivists supporting activists - re donating time/support for activists archiving/documenting police violence, documenting their work: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe5EDqQg45NB2ZrUk42_GOghUPhcyqMJor8BSXj-p1Q4FK7ng/viewform