Child pages
  • 2019-10-16 UCAC Minutes
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date

, Zoom Call, 1-2pm

Zoom Instructions

  • Join Zoom Meeting https://ucsc.zoom.us/j/338686685 
  • One tap mobile +16699006833,,338686685# US (San Jose) 
  • Dial by your location +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
  • Meeting ID: 338 686 685

Attendees

Goals


Discussion items

TimeItemWhoNotes
Minutes


 
20minCampus Updates 

Berkeley: 1) A campus shutdown occurred October 9-11 due to power outages. 2) The Bancroft Library is interviewing candidates for a Digital Archivist. 3) Kathi is attending campus events surrounding the 400th anniversary of the beginnings of slavery in North America, which is part of a year-long commemoration. 4) The Chancellor has announced a year-long commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the admission of women students to campus to take place in 2020. Kathi has been appointed to the history planning committee.

Merced: Jim continues to pursue collecting analog records and email from the recently departed Chancellor, but no transfer has occurred to date.

Riverside: 1) Andrea recently taught two classes on critical thinking and writing; these students will write research papers using university archives materials. She will teach two history classes during the week of October 21. 2) The Special Collections and University Archives unit has completed a survey of its audiovisual holdings and now has specific count. 3) Andrea soon will return to setting processing priorities and refining processing strategy. 4) She is considering how to present UCR's collections in a LibGuide. 5) The campus newspaper will be digitized. Andrea welcomes ideas from the group. 5) Please also contact her with recommendations about assigning record group numbers to university archives collections.

San Diego: 1) The Geisel Library staff is preparing for a year-long 50th-anniversary celebration of the library's founding, to begin in fall 2020. Marlayna welcomes any ideas of anniversary activities, events, or the like that have worked well in our own libraries. 2) The University Archives staff is developing a digital acquisitions policy. When it is closer to draft form, Marlayna may share it with the group for feedback. She is interested in seeing any existing policies that we may have. 3) The UC Records Management Committee-UC Archivists Council (UCAC) joint meeting will take place at UCSD in January 2020. There will be more details to come. 4) Marlayna has a forthcoming article in the Journal of Digital Media Management. She expects an early 2020 publication.

San Francisco: 1) The two-day international symposium on preserving the memory of the AIDS epidemic that took place in early October was very successful. The audience of approximately 230 attendees included health-care providers, community members, library members, students, and others. Polina expressed gratitude to her team. They are now finishing the final report for the grant. 2) She submitted the UCAC policies to the Direction and Oversight Committee (DOC). She will let the group know what results from the discussion.

Santa Cruz: 1) The effort to collect the email of the former Chancellor might be moving forward. Teresa continues to work with Hyland's Perceptive on script development to enable the email export, but they have encountered some challenges. She will share more information as they test possible solutions. 2) UCSC is developing a digital assets management system, which may go live before the end of 2019.







15minPatents


5minUCAC Policies Outstanding Issues
15minIn Person Meeting/ Next Meeting
  • In-person meeting at UCSD scheduled for January 29
  • The group agreed to cancel the December 18 meeting. Teresa will reach out to those not in attendance today to make certain there are no objections. May also want to cancel the February 19 meeting as it is so close to the in-person meeting.
  • Agenda items: The group agreed to continue to build the agenda for the January 29 meeting and beyond. Marlayna suggested revisiting the development of a policy for the collection of chancellor email. Teresa will review the past discussion and identify next steps for the policy drafting.

Action Items

  • Teresa to propose cancellation of December 18 meeting to larger group
  • Teresa to research past discussion and next steps for development of email policy

Agenda Building

  • police body cameras
  • deceased faculty: guidelines for vacating offices
  • email policy
  • patents?