|20-25 minutes ||Review campus "snapshot" table|| |
UCSF (Charlie): Industry Docs Library (tobacco industry, sugar, pharmaceutical and chemical industries), vast number of institutional websites (~5-600),complements to collecting areas (e.g., AIDS/HIV activism, history) Challenges: working with content creators, IT folks seem interested/supportive in theory to include web archiving as part of workflow
UCR (Eric): institutional (inc student groups), govnt, WRCA (Berkeley → Riverside); moving towards sci-fi (online zines). DocNow testing. Develop programmatic approach - embed into library work, workflows and coll policy, getting selectors to nominate web-based content.
- UCSD: see table
- UCSC (Lucia): local govn't (goal, expand to sub-regional, state coverage), Grateful Dead, UCSC institutional site, responsive, event-based, too. interested in engaging selectors. need more help.
- UCB (Julie): IGS collecting local govn't records (depository, so mandate to do this); had been using CONTENTdm's capture tool, but now download discrete pdf's and looking for replacement tool; budget, policy documentation, and climate action docs (civic goal to make these docs available) challenges: discovering docs for selection; bib description, too; opportunity for collaboration, looking forward to this!
- UCLA (Ednar): international area studies, DH, (see table), grant-funded projects, Archive-It; taking collections-side look at how to develop collections with goal to make selection/curation more systematic
- UCD (Kevin): Institutional sites, moving towards documenting more faculty activities (intersecting with data management), UCD's strong research areas; supporting teaching/curricula and research. leverage librarians and subject bibliographers to develop collecting, no social media yet. challenges: programmatic - arrangement/description (metadata), integrating discovery (Primo, finding aids), intersect with physical collections
- UCI (Elvia): (Krystal Tribbett will be joining future calls) institutional sites, OC regional history (inc local politics), SE Asian American experience; plans for critical theory collecting, student orgs (follow hashtags on social media, tracing campus events) challenges: staff education re coll dev/curation
- CDL: supporting
- UCSB: tbd
- UCM: Campus and student projects; in the future archiving support for special projects (e.g., DH)
Agenda building for future meetings
Not directly discussed, though most of these ideas came up in the kick-off meeting and through sharing campus web archiving "snapshots":
- Curation/Selection approaches
- Embedding web archiving into library workflows
- Collaborative collection development: Cobweb, CA.gov, others?
- Strategies for local government selection/capture
- Discovery/researcher use of web archives
- Outreach: understanding/supporting use of web archives, advocacy
- Best practices for web archiving: metadata, crawling, etc.
- Web archiving capture tools: Archive-It (now including Brozzler), webrecorder.io, Doc Now, others?
- Preservation planning
- Data mining
ACTION: Please add to or +1 these topics.